- For Parents
- For Educators
- For Community
- Contact Us
The primary mission of the Local Childcare and Development Planning Councils (LPC’s) is to plan for childcare and development services based on the needs of families in the local community. LPC’s are intended to serve as a forum to address the childcare needs of all families in the community for all types of childcare, both subsidized and non-subsidized. There are currently LPC’s representing each county in California. (See Education Code, Chapter 2.3, Article 1, Section 8499 and Article 2, Sections 8499.3, 8499.5 and 8499.7.)
LPC’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct an assessment of childcare needs in the county no less than once every five years, as funding permits.
- Prepare local comprehensive countywide childcare plans designed to mobilize public and private resources to address identified needs.
- Identify local funding priority areas for childcare services for General Childcare and Development Programs (DOC; 228KB; 24pp.) and the State Preschool Program (DOC; 175KB; 16pp.) for new state and federal funds.
- Conduct local forums to encourage public input in the development of local priorities.
- Conduct a periodic review of child care programs funded by CDE and CDSS to determine if identified priorities are being met.
- Foster local partnerships with subsidized and non-subsidized providers, local and state children and families commissions, county welfare departments, human service agencies, regional centers, job training programs, employers, parent organizations, early start family resource centers, family empowerment centers on disability, local childcare resource and referral programs, and other interested parties.
- Facilitate community-based efforts to coordinate part-day programs, including state preschool and Head Start, with other childcare and development services to provide full-day, full year child care and development services based on guidelines and funding models approved by state and federal agencies.